Shopping on a budget
When it comes to dieting, eating healthier, or trying to put on lean mass, it’s important that your budget grocery list matches your goals and your bank account!
It’s so satisfying reaching your health and fitness goals and extra satisfying when you reach them without breaking the bank.
We went around to some of the grocery stores in our area and scoped out some fit-food-friendly items that can work for any budget and help you meet any goal.
Keep in mind that prices will vary around different parts of the country, but in general, these items can be found at a lower cost and are versatile for individual dietary needs.
What To Buy At The Grocery Store
Here are a few tips about what to buy and how to shop on your next budget conscious grocery store visit:
- Look for fruits and vegetables that are in season for lower prices and some variety for your diet
- Buy fresh produce and frozen produce – eat the fresh stuff first, then break out the frozen stuff when the fresh items run out
- Things like cooking oils, dry grains, and dry pasta can be purchased once a month versus once a week – this won’t always be a weekly cost
- Planning out meals for the week and making a budget grocery list will help keep your shopping trips focused and help you decrease your average spending
- Eat a solid meal prior to grocery shopping so you minimize impulse buying food that wasn’t on your list
- Make sure you set aside time to cook and prep your food. This will reduce food waste and keep money in your bank account.
- Store brand items will generally be a less expensive option and are comparable quality to name brand items
- Bring your own grocery bags; some stores offer a discount for each bag you use of your own
Budget Grocery List
- 5 Dozen Eggs $7-8
- 18 ct Eggs $2-3
- 4ct Light Greek Yogurt $3-4
- 80% Lean Ground Beef $3.18/lb
- 48ct Mozzarella String Cheese $8
- 90% Lean Ground Turkey $2.50-$3.00/lb
- 32oz Bag of Frozen Tilapia Filets $6-7
- 48oz Bag of Frozen Chicken Breast $6-7
- Penne Pasta $0.98/lb
- Organic Brown Rice $1.90/lb
- Wild Rice $3.61/lb
- Quinoa $1.89/lb
- Tri-Color Quinoa $2.91/lb
- Quick Oats $0.69.lb
- Old Fashioned Oats $0.69/lb
- Canned Green Beans $0.78-$1.00/can
- 10lb Bag of Russet Potatoes $3
- Canned Corn Kernels $0.68-$1.00/can
- 5lb Bag of Russet Potatoes $2
- Canned Black Beans $0.67-$1.00/can
- Bell Peppers $0.48-$1.00 each
- 24oz Bag of Spinach $4-5
- 32oz Bag of Fresh Veggie Medley $4-5
- Rice Cakes $2-3
- Bread $2-4
- 24oz Honey $5-7
- 32oz Jelly $2
- 28oz Peanut Butter $3-7
- Cooking Oil Spray $2-4
- 48oz Olive Oil $11-15
- 11.62oz Steak Seasoning $6-7 (this is a VERY versatile seasoning for cooking!)
- Pasta Sauce $2-5
Keep in mind this is not an exhaustive budget grocery shopping list. Hopefully, this list gives you an idea of the different foods you can buy and how they might fit into your budget and your macros. Brand names will always affect price, so when working on a smaller budget it can often benefit you to throw the brand name out the window and look for the best value of an item.
Use this list to help you create your budget-friendly macro meals and crush weight-loss and fitness goals!